Life in NYSC Camp. At Last, an article to get you fully prepared for your Nysc camping Experience. For information about 2022 streams click Here
The Nysc stands for National Youth Service Corps with its motto “Service and Humility”. The Program lasts for 3weeks, on the last day you will be sent out of the camp by 12noon to your designated PPA’s.
Life Inside Camp
Life in NYSC Camp is filled with its ups and downs gaining experience in both positive and negative ways. For some individuals it was fun, for others it was the other way round
It is advisable to get to camp on your assigned date given to you but, it’s not mandatory as far you arrive before the “Swearing in” where you’ll be officially announced as an NYSC Corp Member.
Another reason to arrive at camp early is to speed up your clearance faster and also to get a good space to sleep or else you might find yourself in a long queue just for a signature and also a bad spot to rest at night.
Getting ready for camp
- If you have the picture of camp like it’s a Holiday? You’re Wrong
- If you are bringing your whole luggage I.e unnecessary clothing and accessories? You’re wrong
- If you think it might be stressful, Draining, or sometimes frustrating ? You’re right
Are you posted to a Nysc camp in another state? Probably far from home and you’re wondering what you need to sustain for the 3weeks? You’re in good hands.
- Food Provision. Do not rely on camp food, most time the food is not always in good condition
- food flask, Water bottle, spoon. Highly recommended
- Health Care I.e antibacterial, pain relievers, Dettol, etc.
- Mosquito net. You probably get in camp but expensive
- 3 plain white Round Neck and 3 white shorts. The one’s you’ll be given in camp is an eyesore
- White sneakers. The Nysc sneakers is a little off-key
- 3 home clothing + one Native. You are only allowed to put on White except on Sundays
- You can bring buckets from home but it’s stressful, just buy them when you get to camp. Note: at the entrance of camp or the surrounding outside camp
- Once you’re in camp, there’s no going out
Accessories like laptops, extensions, wall sockets, pressing iron, harmful drugs, and anything metal objects are not allowed in the camp premises. You will be searched thoroughly at the entrance by camp Soldiers.
For the whole 3weeks, the dress code is white. You will only be allowed to put on different clothing on Sundays from 7 am-1 pm.
Any other outfit will be allowed for activities within the camp by authorities or it will be addressed as contraband and probably be seized on the spot.
Registration Process inside Nysc Camp
A job sheet Paper will be given to everyone on the camp which corp members will use for clearance. Once a section is completed, it will be signed you will be able to move to the next phase
- Language inspection
- Get tested for coronaVirus (covid slip will be required)
- Hostel allocation
- Screening of call-up letters/Document verification
- Computer online verification
- Clearance by gender officer (Married Women Only)
- Collection of Kit (On Platoon Bases)
- Book of life (On Platoon Bases)
- ID Card collection (PPRU)
- Exeat (Camp Director’s office) I.e if you’re leaving camp before the assigned date
- Return of Matters (last Day on Camp)
A temporary ID card will be issued to you and it’s advised to keep the temporary ID card 24/7 till you get the actual ID from the authorities.
You will be assigned a platoon varying from 1-10. These platoons are where you will be giving activities and In each platoon, there will be an elected platoon leader and an assistant to take charge and represent the platoon
Accommodation in Nysc Camp
Life in paradise is what you should expect. A small mattress will be given to corp members, you can take 2 if allowed because it’s expired foam “lol. The next step is to find a good bunk space “ not too close to the entrance, not too close to the wall just stay in the middle for camouflage” Experience is talking here
Rumor has it some camps have lockers. This statement has not been confirmed and will advise anyone not to have the mindset of having a locker to keep their belongings. You can keep up your stuff either under the bed or on top.
What to expect living in dorms with Corp members
There is no room for VIP Corp members, everyone will be treated equally. Although some individuals have their ways of getting things done. Below are what to expect
- Stolen Buckets & water
- Money theft
- Stolen Phones and Chargers
- Noisemakers & Zero privacy
- Show off I.e (state hyping, course of study, gadget, etc.)
- Good and bad influencers
- Upcoming talents (no one cares if you can sing?)
It’s best to come prepared and ready to get the best out of your Nysc camp experience.
Lifestyle in Nysc Camp
By 4 am every morning, camp soldiers will come to the dormitory to wake every corp member. You have an hour to get ready for morning meditation and parade.
Your health status is a less likely concern as the soldiers won’t listen to any excuse you have for missing a Parade “if you’re sleeping your wrong” the only option is to have a signed paper given from the clinic and sometimes it doesn’t work. So “jump up” who send you come serve your father’s land “Lazy people jump up”.
Throughout your stay camp, you’ll be living a military lifestyle as you will be trained by soldiers and RSM.
Living a luxurious life is allowed in camp. If you have the money you will enjoy camp, a marketplace called Mami is always available at your disposal where you can get food, snacks, drinks, provisions, sew and reshape your clothes, a bar, a palm wine joint, hair salon, photograph studios, gadgets charging shops, etc.
warning: The prices are double the actual amount you’ll get outside camp
They are people to help you wash your clothes and iron them, polish your shoes, fetch you water, provide you with hot water, run errands to buy food and water once you have the money.
Events in Nysc Camp
They are lots of events to participate in during your stay in Camp such as:
- Mr & Mrs. Nysc
- Mr. Macho (body build)
- Cultural dance
- Debate & Drama club
- Dancing & Singing competition
- Volleyball and basketball
- Parade Marching
You are required to take part in these events but it is not mandatory and if you are lucky you’ll get posted to a good PPA.
5 rules to survive in Nysc camp
Life in nysc camp is hard, follow these rules for the best experience as they always come in handy.
- Do not ask or form Right: follow the crowd and you won’t get punished, you weren’t forced to come to serve
- Spend when you are needed to: don’t fall for traps, you will be told to buy unessary items.
- Move with the right set of friends: As mentioned earlier, you will meet the good and bad influencers. Each has its benefits, it’s left for you to decide
- Don’t Rush: unnecessary activities will be given to corp members. wait and observe and you will see that you can skip some but not all.
- Do not fall in love just have fun: there are lots of opposite genders in camp, have fun with each other because after camp you probably part ways
- Do not smoke, fight, or have sex in camp: once you are caught, you will be decamped sometimes pardoned.
Life in nysc camp is a one-time experience. If you are new to Nysc orientation, do not fret. It all rains down to its merit and demerit. If you have the experience and you want to share or also want to add to the article you can comment below